The King's Own Malta Regiment was a territorial infantry regiment established in 1801 as the Regiment of Maltese Militia. Following disbandment a year later, it was reformed again as the Maltese Militia in 1852, only be to disbanded in 1857 then reconstituted once again in 1889 as the Royal Malta Regiment of Militia. A Royal Visit to Malta by King Edward VII in 1903 during which the monarch referred to the unit as his own led to the designation being changed to the King's Own Malta Regiment of Militia (KOMRM). The Regiment was disbanded again in 1921 but reformed in late 1931 as the King's Own Malta Regiment (KOMR). This new formation was placed under the command of Lt. Col. Percy Worrall CBE DSO upon his transfer from the Devonshire Regiment. An officers mess was established on the first floor of Valletta's Main Guard, facing the Governor's Palace, while the regimental HQ was based at Lower Fort St. Elmo. As a territorial unit, conscription into the KOMR was on a voluntary basis and men served on a part-time basis similar to today's army reserve forces. Before the onset of World War Two, the regiment consisted of a single battalion made up by a number of companies. A battalion typically consists of anything between 300-1000 men, usually divided into 4-6 companies. The give an example of the military designation reflecting this organisation, 'A' Coy 1st / KOMR would mean first company pertaining to the 1st Battalion of the King's Own Malta Regiment. This would normally be followed by B Coy, C Coy and so on, depending on the size of the battalion. In December 1934, a new company was raised in Gozo, termed 'D' Coy 1st / KOMR. After being presented with new colours (regimental flag) in May, 1935, command of the KOMR was handed over to one of its serving Maltese officers, namely Lt. Col. Edgar J. Vella. As the clouds of war gathered over Europe, the onset of WWII necessitated the Regiment's expansion, leading to the creation of a second battalion termed 2nd / KOMR in September 1939. A third battalion was established in 1940 followed by a fourth after mandatory military conscription came into effect in February 1941. These battalions were designated as 3rd / KOMR and 10th / KOMR. Each of these Battalions' service history is described separately in the pages linked below.